The Powerswitch price trend graphs show rolling 3-year prices for annual electricity usage in main centres. The graphs provide a guide to general trends in electricity prices.
View price trends in
Based on an average annual consumption for a medium sized household (8131 kWh per year)
About the trends
- Prices are for the most common electricity plan type in the area, for a household of 3-4 people, using electric water-heating, electric cooking, and a mix of electric and other space-heating.
- The trends graph always tracks the same plan. The exception to this is Trustpower where their fixed term plan is used. Trustpower advised us most of their customers are on this plan.
- Prices are for the standard pricing plan of this type from each retailer, except for the lower part of the South Island where low user plans are used.
- The trends graph does not include a weighted average or track special offers.
- Prices include prompt and electronic payment discounts and don't include short term special offers.
- We don't include pricing for retailers that only supply electricity to people who also have gas from the same company.
- Prices displayed are for electricity only.