Making complaints

What to do if you have a problem with your power company.

Who deals with complaints about power companies?

The Electricity and Gas Complaints Commissioner Scheme (EGCC) is a free service that deals with complaints from consumers about electricity and gas retail and line companies.

How do I make a complaint?

There are a number of steps you must take before you make a complaint to the Commissioner:

  • You must make a "formal" complaint to your electricity or gas company or, where appropriate, your local lines business. To make absolutely sure there is no confusion about the nature of your complaint, we suggest you write to the company concerned and head up your letter "formal complaint".
  • The company then has 20 working days to respond.
  • If at the end of this time, you are not able to resolve your complaint with the company, you can complain to the Commissioner's Office.

To contact the Commissioner

To make a complaint, contact the Commissioner by: